Skip To Main Content



Menu Trigger Container

I Want To

Horizontal Nav


Health Office

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I tell if my child is too sick to go to school?
The policy of the Simi Valley Unified School District is that a student must be free from fever and/or vomiting for at least 24 hours before returning to school following an illness. 

For longer absences:
If your child is going to miss 3 or more days of school, please call the Health Office to request homework. If it's expected that your child will be out for 3 weeks or more, please call right away to find out about home teaching.

What if my child has an emergency at school?
Every year, we require parents to complete and update their child's health records and other authorizations in EACH CHILD'S AERIES ACCOUNT. This is where our staff looks when we have questions or concerns about your child's medical status and it's vitally important that this information is updated at least annually. This is also where we can see who you have named to be your emergency contacts. If your student is sick or injured, we will always try to contact you first. If we are unable to reach you, we will then contact those on your emergency list who are authorized to pick up or release your child from school. Office staff is trained in First Aid and CPR.  If your child is experiencing a life threatening emergency, we will call 911 for assistance and then notify a parent or guardian.

Can my student take medication while at school?
All medicines, even over-the-counter remedies like Tylenol and Motrin, require authorization from both a parent/guardian and a physician. Please call or come by the school office to pick up a medication form. Medicines are kept only in the Health Office and must be stored in their original labeled containers.

Diabetes, and other significant medication situations:
Please call the Health Office as additional consents may be needed. We must have current orders from your doctor for your student to have insulin, glucagon, epi pens, or other medications at school.

What if my student is on crutches or has a cast?
We will need doctor's note to indicate specific limitations or concerns. Also, please pick up a medication form if you think your student may need pain medication.

What if my student doesn't feel well and wants to come home?
If your child is feeling sick, please have them check in at the Health Office. Often times, just a short rest or a little snack is all they need to get back to class. We check their temperature and other symptoms before we call you, so you can better judge if you need to call the doctor.

What health information would you like us to know about your student?
Please review and update the medical information in your child's Aeries account at the beginning of each school year and as needed throughout the year. Please note any severe allergies to foods or medications; chronic or recurrent illnesses; and what medications your student is taking. Current information is helpful as it may affect your student's schoolwork and their safety. Please call our office if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.


Lisa Kelly, RN, School Nurse 
Phone: 805.306.4420


Health Office Hours 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.